Preventing Sports Injuries
Most sports injuries are the result of inadequate training in certain sports, structural defects in the body, and weaknesses in the body. Many people who start exercising after being sedentary sustain a sports injury. However, with the proper precautions, sports injuries can often be prevented.
The following are some basic steps to prevent a sports injury:
- Warm up properly before any physical activity.
- Alternate exercising different muscle groups and exercise every other day.
- Cool down properly after exercise or sports.
- Stretching exercises can improve the muscles' ability to contract and perform, reducing the risk for injury.
- Shoe support may correct certain foot problems that can lead to injury.
- Back injuries may be prevented with the following:
- pelvic tilt exercises (to decrease excessive lower back curvature)
- abdominal strengthening exercises (to help stabilize the back)
- lower back stretches
- If you do sustain a sports injury, make sure you participate in adequate rehabilitation before resuming strenuous activity.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Women's Health