Palliative care focused on education, decision making and symptom management.
Is chronic illness a part of your life? If so, you have choices in your symptom management.
- Do you (or a family member) have one or more chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, lung disease or cancer?
- Do you have persistent symptoms associated with your illness that disrupt your day and prevent you from living the quality of life you desire?
- Are you frequently calling your doctor or making trips to the hospital because of your chronic illness?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may benefit from Life's Journey.
Whether you’re 25 or 95, dealing with a debilitating, chronic disease is challenging and may prevent you from getting the most out of each day and ultimately, decreasing your quality of life. Through this unique, hospital-based program, improved coordination of your care and better management of your symptoms is possible.
Providing choices in care
If you or someone you love is dealing with one or more illnesses and has difficulty managing the symptoms, pain and discomfort associated with such illnesses, it’s likely there are frequent doctor visits, trips to the ER or routine hospital admissions. Often, this creates a healthcare maze that is confusing, stressful and hard to follow. This is where Life's Journey can make a meaningful difference in how an illness is managed, so that you can get back to focusing on what’s important to you like time with your family or time spent on activities you enjoy.
Life's Journey is a support-based program intended for people facing complex symptoms, pain, psychological and spiritual issues. By partnering with your doctors and health care team, the Life’s Journey program can do many things, including:
- Support you in managing pain, symptoms, spiritual and social needs.
- Support you in making decisions about your care.
- Provide comfort for you and your family as you journey through life with your chronic disease.
- Coordinate communication between you, your doctors and other healthcare team members.
- Enhance your overall quality of life and satisfaction with your care.
Life's Journey team
The Life's Journey team, which will help with the coordination of your care, is led by medical director Thomas Ledyard, MD. Dr. Ledyard and his team are certified specialists in symptom management. The team will provide an experience that supports participants and their families as they journey in life with a chronic disease.
Participating in Life's Journey
The program is the most comprehensive of its kind in Indiana. It is an in-hospital program available to patients at Community Hospitals East, North, South and Community Heart and Vascular Hospital. If you or someone you know could benefit from Life's Journey, speak to your physician; you must be referred by your doctor. For more information, please call our referral line at 317-621-4900.